About the Internet Society
The Internet Society believes the Internet is for everyone, and growing communities to support our work is key to achieving organizational goals in each of its focus areas. We do this through community building/mobilization, policy advocacy, political education, training and technical assistance to advance local and international efforts to create a bigger and stronger Internet.
About the Position
The Senior Manager, Communications will design, develop, and implement innovative communications strategies and programs to advance the Internet Society’s key projects and initiatives. This will require coordinating, integrating, and measuring communications programs to ensure they not only meet project-specific objectives but also align with overall organizational priorities and goals. This position is part of the subject matter expert group within the Internet Society.
This position requires significant understanding of a broad range of Internet-related technical and policy topics, especially those at the forefront of current events. In particular, it requires the ability to effectively articulate and advance organizational viewpoints and objectives with and across regional and global Internet technical and policy communities. The Senior Manager will work closely with project leaders and other technical experts within the subject matter expert group, and will collaborate with staff across the Internet Society organization, including those within the corporate communications, external engagement, and membership teams. This is a 2 year employment term.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with others to develop communications strategies and creative approaches that support project objectives, and that align with organizational priorities.
- Develop project-focused communications programs and drive the delivery of cross-channel communications initiatives that appropriately leverage a wide variety of channels, media, and online platforms.
- Effectively articulate and advance organizational objectives within and across Internet technical and policy communities.
- Identify relevant audiences for project-led communications, and devise approaches for using audience engagement to drive toward project outcomes.
- In collaboration with the corporate communications team, develop and manage specific tactics as part of the communications programs, such as media outreach, social media campaigns, as well as photography, video, and other graphical asset development.
- Coordinate across the organization to use the Internet Society website, social media channels, and other communications tools and resources.
- Develop measurement criteria to evaluate communications programs and incorporate changes into the communications programs based upon measurement results.
- Manage and lead multiple projects and deadlines when required.
- Reflect a global outlook and approach in all work.
- Undertake the writing and editing of materials such a blogs, stories, fact sheets, press releases, and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7-10 years of communications experience.
- Strong interest in and understanding of Internet technology and policy issues.
- Product marketing experience in the technology sector and/or demonstrable technical knowledge preferred.
- Experience with engaging in the IETF, network operator groups, or any other technical environment in which a good understanding of the working of the Internet is critical to success.
- Significant experience working with Internet technical and policy communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaborate as part of a globally-distributed team.
- Experience with use of Internet tools.
- Exceptional English writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Information about the Internet Society and its activities may be found at https://www.internetsociety.org/.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.