About the Internet Society & Internet Society Foundation
The Internet Society (ISOC) supports and promotes the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Our work aligns with our goals for the Internet to be open, globally connected, secure, and trustworthy. We seek collaboration with all who share these goals.
Together, we focus on building and supporting the communities that make the Internet work; advancing the development and application of Internet infrastructure, technologies, and open standards; and advocating for policy that is consistent with our view of the Internet.
The Internet Society Foundation (Foundation) is a newly formed, non-profit organization that works in concert with the Internet Society. It exists to demonstrate and support the positive difference the Internet can make to people everywhere and promote the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Learn more at https://www.internetsociety.org/foundation/.
Summary of the Position
The Communications Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and management of an overarching strategic communications plan that brings the Internet Society Foundation’s mission to life. As a key brand ambassador, he/she will work to position the Internet Society Foundation brand with external stakeholders and the general public in the most effective manner through the use of the full mix of marketing communications disciplines.
He/she will manage relationships with the Executive Director and Program Officers to ensure that communications efforts are aligned in support of the Foundation’s strategic, operational, and programmatic goals. The Communications Manager will be the main reference point for communications expertise and will lead on communications initiatives, planning approaches and tactics as well as identify opportunities to raise awareness of the Foundation and its work. This spans the execution of integrated projects across digital, social media, and media relations.
There are five grant program areas on which the Communications Manager will focus as well as the Foundation as a whole:
1. Beyond the Net Funding Programme. Chapter grant funding for local and regional projects aligned with the Internet Society’s mission.
2. Community capacity building. Support for broader initiatives that improve Internet access and bridge the digital opportunities gap.
3. Disaster relief and recovery. Support to partner efforts to ensure communities can be reconnected quickly after natural disasters.
4. Research. The Foundation will explore opportunities to fund research and strengthen research capacity across technical, economic and public policy topics.
5. Innovation. This fund will encourage and fund technology initiatives and innovative technologies that contribute to the open Internet.
Location: Open to European Regions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Desired Qualifications & Competencies
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.